Most personal injury cases in Ontario are handled on a contingency basis. This means that you do not pay up-front legal fees or disbursements until your case is resolved.
What is a disbursement?
They are the costs and expenses incurred when building your personal injury case and moving it towards a successful resolution. Here are a few examples of common Disbursements:
- Printing, photocopying, faxing, scanning
- Mail, postage, courier
- Clinical notes and records of treating healthcare practitioners
- OHIP summaries
- Prescription summaries
- Motor vehicle accident report
- Employment files
- Issuing and filing court documents
- Interpreter fees (if one is required)
- Mediation fees
- Court reporter fees
- Expert medical reports
- Expert income loss reports
- Expert liability reports
- Adverse costs insurance
The disbursements you are likely to incur will vary depending on the facts and complexity of your case. However, there are few universal ways in which you can save on these costs:
- If you already have a copy of your motor vehicle accident report, OHIP summary, income tax returns, or prescription summary, clinical notes and records, bring them to your initial consultation. This will save on the cost and time associated with obtaining these document;
- Respond promptly to any of our inquiries so that your personal injury case moves forward as quickly as possible;
- Follow your treating healthcare practitioner’s recommendations and seek the referral of OHIP covered specialists;
- We will often request pre-payment from the defendant to obtain documents. If pre-payment is not provided by them, many of your disbursements may be paid by the defendant when your case is resolved either through a settlement or after a trial; and,
- Mediation is an excellent opportunity to resolve your personal injury claim. If we are successful at resolving your claim at mediation, Mediation Charges are usually paid by the defendant.
If we are successful at resolving your personal injury claim before formally commencing litigation, you will save the cost of issuing and filing court documents, court reporter fees, and mediation charges.
It is important to remember that you will not have to pay any legal fees or disbursements upfront. Gosai Law will be responsible for all of the costs associated with your personal injury case until it is successfully resolved.